March 13, 2017

Female Voices of the Charité Research Community - part 2


What does it mean to be a female scientist at the Charité? We set out to interview researchers at all career stages, learning about their challenges, hopes, and unfiltered thoughts on being a woman in science. As you will see, not everyone shares the same opinion or experiences...



PhD Student, 28 years old


Do you feel that you are treated equally?
During my studies I had an encounter with a sexist professor that made inappropriate remarks. That was the first time that I realized that women are still not treated the same way as men. At the moment I have the impression – and this might be just my feeling – that I am looked at differently than a male person would be in my position. I am about to finish my PhD and I think that prospective companies and bosses are hesitant to hire me, because I might drop out soon due to pregnancy.

WE NEED TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO PATCH THE “LEAKY PIPELINE”
 
What needs to be improved?
We need to figure out how to patch the “leaky pipeline” and help more women get access to leadership positions. It is especially critical to provide a surrounding for young woman where they have the certainty that they do not have to choose between family or career. It would help very much if the government would support research institutes more, so that the group leaders can give better contracts to their female PhDs and young postdocs that do not depend so much on getting publications. It's simply detrimental to having a family and pursuing a career; it's hard to get a grant if you did not publish for a year or so, because you were busy with your baby.
What is your fear / hope?
At the moment I feel under pressure to make the right choices so I can both pursue a scientific career and start a family. I hope to secure a job outside academia that offers me a contract that lasts longer than the average position in academia.

via pixabay




Postdoc who left academia, 38, married, kids

What did you struggle most with, as woman in academia?
I actually never had to struggle with being a woman in academia as I always had supportive and fair supervisor and peers.
Why did you leave academia?
Because I learned that I am not made for an academic career and that I have other priorities in my life.

EXCELLENT NEUROSCIENCE CAN’T BE DONE PART-TIME.
 
What needs to be improved?
The whole scientific evaluation system. It is detrimental for good, wide-ranging science to evaluate researchers only by the journals they have published in.
What is your advice to an aspiring female neuroscientist?
You should find out and decide for yourself what is most important for you and then go for it. Try to find good mentors, not necessarily limiting yourself to women or individuals from your field, and ask constantly for advice.
I also believe that excellent neuroscience can’t be done part-time.





by Claudia Willmes, AG Eickholt/Schmitz
These interviews have been edited lightly for quality and content.

this article originally appeared March 2017 in "Diversity in Neuroscience"

No comments:

Post a Comment