March 14, 2017

Female Voices of the Charité Research Community - part 3

What does it mean to be a female scientist at the Charité? We set out to interview researchers at all career stages, learning about their challenges, hopes, and unfiltered thoughts on being a woman in science. As you will see, not everyone shares the same opinion or experiences...

University women’s representative 

Why do we need woman’s representatives?
As women, we have come along way from not having any rights at all to being members of society that are acknowledged as such, with rights and potential that can be used. But there are still some improvements that need to be done, especially concerning the underrepresentation of women in leading positions- including in academia. Women's representatives are the conscious voice that demand these improvements and make sure that our progress doesn't come to a halt when we are getting close to equality. 
Do you feel that you are treated equally?
I feel treated equally and I cannot say I have encountered any discrimination due to my gender. I believe this is thanks to the hard work of generations of women who fought for their rights as women in society. However, I believe there is still some inequality when it comes to letting women advance to leadership positions and certain disadvantages that come with the biological role of women in having children.


GENDER EQUALITY IS NOT A TRADE-OFF FOR EXCELLENCE!

What needs to be improved?
We need to improve the opportunities of women to reach the top steps of the career ladder. This can be done by improving the compatibility of career and family, by increasing the acceptance of family as something that is a normal progression in life- even at competitive workplaces- and by making people aware that women are as capable as men. We need to stop thinking that gender equality in science can only come at a cost. Gender equality is not a trade-off for excellence!


by josemiguels via pixabay



Postdoc, mid 40s, one child

Do you have a female scientist role model?
Not really, because I do not differentiate between man and woman with respect to intellectual capabilities. And I never had the opportunity to talk to a female professor in this private way how she managed to get there and what she thinks is necessary and one has to leave aside to get there.
Do you feel that you are treated equally?
When I was younger I thought that yes, we are treated equally  But looking back now there are some occasions where I think that is just wrong.
My PhD was rather equal even though my supervisor was a bit more outspoken with his male students. During one of my postdocs I had one supervisor who was borderline sexist. Later on, I also had female bosses, who were far more research-focused and gender-neutral. One was a mother and the other wasn’t, but both welcomed women who decided to start a family. The most sexist man I encountered was when I applied for a postdoc and he asked me if I wanted to start a family and and so on. I reconsidered and retracted my application. However, there are also female professors who have an issue with female postdocs. It always boils down to whether you want to have a family or not. This is the most important fact in regard to gender equality: it is the woman who bears the child. It is almost a biological disadvantage. We have to welcome women who want to start a family. I always found it very strange that many bosses do not welcome children.
What did you struggle with most as a woman in academia?
I guess it gets more difficult the more you advance in your career. It is really difficult to have a break from academia for several month to raise your child – like I did when I became a mum. You are out of the job, out of contact with your colleagues, and out of the progress that happens in the lab. Despite being on maternity leave, the women need to come to the lab every now and then to keep up to date because science will not wait. This is hugely important.
What needs to be improved?
Both sides have to improve. Young people have to honestly ask themselves, "What is my capacity and strength"? The earlier you start thinking where you want to go in life, the better. Also, it is absolutely necessary that young people get more advice from experienced researchers.
What needs to change is the attitude of how we look at young mothers: For example, I remember an Icelandic politician who was in front of a congress with her baby, and breastfeeding while giving an important speech. I think this is so cool- they do not make a fuss about it at all. Another thing: This building (CCO) is great, but it does not even have a room where a pregnant of breastfeeding mother can go to and rest for a moment. There is not even a kindergarten here. The Charité is just starting to build one. Organizations like Charité need to make childcare easier for parents who want to return to their jobs.

Tell yourself every day that you are smart.
 
Another point is finances: The situation is bad in research. It's an insecure job in itself, because we don't know what comes out of our experiments. These short-term contracts are a disgrace for smart and ambitious young people. As women, we really need to consider whether we want to go the whole path from PhD to Professor. It is very difficult, and could be a waste of time.
Your advice for a female scientist?
Go for it! It's tough, it's rough, and it's a fight every day. The best one can do is find colleagues who you can rely on, and who you can collaborate with. Ask yourself "Where do I want to go?". "What kind of restrictions can I live with?". Tell people like your boss what you are willing to deal with and what you are not. Be more self-assured. Women are equally smart as men, but they tend to be more insecure and humble in the way they interact. This is not the right attitude. Tell yourself every day that you are smart.



by Claudia Willmes, AG Eickholt/Schmitz
These interviews have been edited lightly for quality and content.

this article originally appeared March 2017 in "Diversity in Neuroscience"

No comments:

Post a Comment